Sunday, June 12, 2011

Letter from Francis Postelle to Wilma Wogatzke October 14, 1969

Dear Mrs. Wogatzke,

I know it has been a long time since you wrote to me about the Lambert Family.  Somehow I couldn't bring myself to think much about family history until very recently.  My mother was extremely interested and she died a little over a year ago.  A bit of emotion on my part.  But I am very much interested in the family history and now I can get back to it again.  My sources of research material are very limited here.  While we were in Washington D C there was a lot of archives plus the Library of Congress

Your cousin Helen Brownd wrote very recently and I am answering her letter today also.  i am sending her a copy of this family chart also.   Hope it will be of some interest and maybe help to you also.  As you see I was never able to document any information earlier than Jeremiah Lambert and Sarah Cagle.  There were Lamberts in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina and several of the New England states.  Feel sure that if one could go back far enough there was on Lambert family.  Some seem to have come from England.  And some from Ireland to America.  Probably England and Ireland were interim homes.  I believe they went to England and Ireland from France, probably near Germany but I have no proof of that.  I doubt very much that they were originally Irish.  The strong religious convictions seem to be related to the Calvinist and to fundamentalist groups which eminated from the area in the south of France and Germany.

My research has been dormant for many years.  After we left Washington DC in 1961 there has been little opportunity.  We spent 2 years in Colorado Springs and over 3 in Oslo, Norway, 1 in Syracuse NY and we have bee here for the past 2 years.  I retired from the Air Force on October 1, 1967 after a little more than 32 years.

I'm delighted to find that some others are interested in the family history.  Perhaps you have information and sources to help enlarge the history.  And you are probably better informed on how to do research than I ever was.  Please keep up the interest and be assured of my assistance with whatever material I have accumulated or may yet uncover.  My files are not very well organized, but I do have a lot of details,  This chart is the summary.

Thanks for writing and please accept my apology for the long delay in replying.

Sincerely
Francis B Postelle

No comments:

Post a Comment